Older. Undeniably. Bigger. Sure. Wiser? Maybe. Listen up for the lessons we learned in 2017.
1. The Tourmalet is great, The Twourmalet is difficult, but still pretty great.
2. 10kph is a totally acceptable average speed if you stop at enough pubs on the way
3. Racing is surprisingly fun (as long as you don’t crash)
4. Cinnamon Buns are life
5. Much Hadham Ford should only be crossed in a straight line, and never touch the brakes
6. Beer doesn’t make you time trial faster, but when everyone is equally handicapped who really cares?
7. Mallorca is sunnier than Surrey in March. The roads are a bit smoother too.
8. We don’t have any 5* cobbled Roubaix sectors in London, but pretending the Thames path is 4* is still fun
9. The jeopardy of missing the last train home from Brighton on a Wednesday will give you 30 extra watts
10. It’s possible to simply eat cake and simultaneously kit out a cycling team in Africa
11. Kitting out a cycling team in Africa is awesome and how they now look is even awesomer
12. You can ride from London to Truro in two days, but be prepared to spend more on food than you would have spent on a train ticket.
13. There’s other people out there just like us. Such as these guys.
14. London-Brighton-London is doable in January. But it’s much more fun in July.
15. If you’re going to ride Mont Ventoux you might as well do it three times
16. Never stop at traffic lights in Crystal Palace
17. Mornings in Regent’s Park are nicer than nights
18. People just don’t understand our silly name (no, it's not just for boys, or big people)
19. If you need to ask, the answer is always 'Yes, it is time to stop for a coffee.'
20. Fred Whitton is the best day on a bike in the UK (if the weather is like this year)
21. Ironman is long and quite difficult and has weird non cycling things involved
22. Red Hook Crit is the future. Probably about time we bought some track bikes and tried out being the other side of the barriers.
23. It rains more in the Pyrenees than the Alps
24. Being a sheep in Devon seems tougher than being a goat in Mallorca
25. Flo’s our most photogenic rider. Thank god he’s back from Brazil
26. It’s nice when random people say “hey, nice kit.”
27. If you like coffee and pastries, go to Italy. Pizza is good wherever you eat it.